Friday, November 18, 2011

Whats your experience with a Tree Dahlia?

Someone posted a tree dahlia on ebay. I can't find anything when researching it on google besides that it is hard to find. Do you know something about them? Care, zone etc?





Thanks

Whats your experience with a Tree Dahlia?
I actually found 2 of these at a plant sale last spring. I took one and gave one to my mom.





We are both in zone 8. Hers took off and she planted it in front of the house. Mine didn't do well and then the dog pulled it out of the pot. :( My mom's was doing really well until this winter - we've had a lot of frost. So, we'll see how it comes back.





It's Dahlia imperialis and it's not very winter hardy. Here is a link to a site for more information on it. http://www.strangewonderfulthings.com/10...


It's not readily available in nurseries because it has a funny growth habit and doesn't look like much until it gets bigger.





Hope this helps you some. :)


No comments:

Post a Comment