Saturday, November 14, 2009

How will dahlia bulbs fare in Austin TX? I know they need sun and not much water, will the heat kill them?

I have a large pot and some soil ready to go, I'm thinking I would put them where where we get morning sun...and I could bring them inside if we hid triple digit temps...these are 40 year old bulbs I was gifted with and really don't want to screw it up.

How will dahlia bulbs fare in Austin TX? I know they need sun and not much water, will the heat kill them?
dahlia bulbs are called ''tubers'' and they like sunshine but not extreme heat and cannot be inside .they like alot of water once a week in hot weather but in your hot area i would water them daily and put them in the shade
Reply:Dahlias are the national flower of Mexico, so I would be really surprised if heat killed them. I do agree, that with a heritage tuber, you don't want to take chances, so keeping them watered and shaded is good advice. What we do up North is to wait until the flower heads go to seed in November, then pick off the seed heads. After they dry thoroughly, you have plantable seeds for next year. Digging up the tubers (up here) is a pain, as is keeping them over the winter in peat moss that is moistened. Much easier to do the seeds route.


No comments:

Post a Comment